Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

Kate Yzurdiaga

Kate Yzurdiaga2

Kate Yzurdiaga

__________________


I have lived with Kate this year and, similar to Natalie, have had the pleasure of watching her style develop over the school year. While there are definitely those stylistic stand-outs that catch my eye in an instant, there is something to be said about style that takes time to observe and understand in all of its nuances. I feel as if style in isolation can be pretty and pleasant to look at, but understanding its context and being able to see how one's personality has affected their clothing and lifestyle choices is something that I find incredibly fascinating.

And yet, the fact that I only met Kate in college leaves a void in my perception of her. For all I know, the way she dressed when I first met her last fall. I have not seen her style throughout the entirety of college and beyond, so I am left in this strange position where I wonder how she dressed in high school - has she always been as well-dressed as she is now, or did she adopt the familiar uniform of sweats and hoodies like the rest of us? I am stuck without context and can only guess.

But regardless of this fact, I have grown to appreciate Kate's style more and more - the incarnation of it that is right in front of me. I'm slowly learning why she chooses to wear high-wasted bottoms, why she is moving towards more vintage items such as her wonderfully patterned blazer, and how her flowing hair adds such a sense of vivacity to her everyday appearance. Her style is still developing, like all of ours are. Now that it is a part of my own little slice of reality, I look forward to seeing where it ends up in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment